Sunday, May 9, 2010

{Two Green Thumbs Up}

Our yard has been undergoing a major makeover this spring, and while we are still in the beginning stages of the process, things are definitely looking better.

Shortly after moving into our house my Mom helped us create a couple of flower beds in the backyard. And shortly after that...I let them get overgrown. Oops. But on a recent visit, my Mom inspired me yet again to attempt getting the yard under control, and this time I'm following through.

Flower bed #1...

...featuring yellow flowers...

...pink flowers (hey, I didn't say I'm a gardening aficionado)...

...zucchini...

...and bell peppers!

I have tomatoes and jalapenos planted also, but no veggie sightings on those plants yet.

Flower bed #2...

with pretty roses...

...and mint, thyme, rosemary, chives, and cilantro. The big herb on the far right of the bed is the cilantro, and despite my astonishing neglect over the last year it is thriving. The plant doesn't die. In fact, it spread into the yard, and the air smells like cilantro every time Andreas mows.

It hasn't stopped with the backyard either. Between natural soil erosion and the shade of the growing tree, our yard was a mix of weeds, dead, and on its way to dead. Andreas used Round-Up to prepare...

...for the sod installation!

Ack! Scary time in the process!

And the final product...


We still have quite a bit of work to do, but I think things are looking quite nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment