Sunday, January 10, 2010

Faux Flowers

A while back I purchased some cheap bud vases thinking that a few flowers could really go a long way in adding a pop of color to one of our bedrooms. I love fresh flowers around the house, but they aren't something I can afford to keep at all times, and certainly not hidden away in a guest bedroom. The problem was that I couldn't find any fake flowers I liked all that much. I bought a few stems from a local craft store to see if they would work, but in the end they just looked, well...fake...and lonely. Luckily one day I happened upon a site providing instructions for party pom-poms made of tissue paper and thought they would make great flowers if I down-sized them. I think they turned out great! They were super easy and I'll definitely be using the pattern again for party decorations in the future. The roses are another idea I adapted from online, originally posted by a woman attempting to decorate for an eco-friendly wedding. She used old paper grocery sacks (which looked awesome!), but since I use cloth bags for my groceries I made these with thick scrapbooking paper.

Now I'm not under the illusion that these flowers look real, but I think they are much more visually interesting than the plastic junk I had before. Plus if you wanted to make them more realistic I think that could be accomplished with colored tissue paper or some dye!

See these sites for more detailed instructions:
Tissue Paper Pom-Poms
Eco-Chic Roses

No comments:

Post a Comment