Sunday, August 4, 2013

{Week in Review}

We had a lot going on this week, including 3 play dates during which I didn't take a single photo. Toddler play dates begin in a social gray area, because for a while they are really just mommy play dates where the children may or may not acknowledge one another. I believe the technical term for this is 'parallel play'. A more appropriate label would effectively communicate that during this stage there is still a good chance you and your mommy friend will be able to drink your diet sodas (or coffee depending on the time) while having a nice conversation until the kids decide they both want to play with the same toy at which point any peace and quiet ceases and your conversation is over. But that's a lot to expect out of a developmental stage label, so I guess it's a good thing you read this blog and can stay well-informed. 

At this point I feel like I can use the term play date without any sense of embellishment. Anders is starting to interact with other kids, and it is so much fun to witness! Now don't get me wrong. I already miss being able to get out more than one adult sentence before a parenting intervention is required, but it really is neat to watch him begin to form relationships with other little humans. As far as picture-taking goes, though, I'm usually too busy chatting with my own friends during the calm moments to stop and take photos. Not to mention, there are no definitive rules about posting pictures of other people's kiddos on the internet. I'm sure those questions will get tougher as my kids get older, but for now I just avoid them altogether.

Also, it is hot. We've had a pretty mild summer so far, but now it is you-can't-avoid-the-Texas-heat-any-longer hot. Avoid-going-outdoors-after-10am hot. Sweat-stained-carseats hot. And hot weather means water play. While I enjoy water activities in the summer, I worry about pulling my camera or phone out when I'm within splash range of a wily toddler.

I did manage to capture a few of our indoor activities this week.

We enjoyed some toddler sushi. (Eventually I hope to encourage proper pencil grip with these chopsticks, but I'll settle for building hand and finger strength for now.)


We also experimented with Q-tip painting, where kids dip Q-tips into paint and press into a circle on paper - one dot per circle. The primary purpose of painting in this manner is to improve distal control, but my motivation was much simpler. I was happy for Anders to be painting with something disposable, one less thing to clean up! I found some templates on Pinterest, and we started painting!


This activity went well, and Anders was pretty focused until I totally derailed the project by painting a heart on his stomach. Anders though it was hilarious to 'tickle' himself with the paint.


He also tried his hand at face-painting.


By this point, you may be asking yourself where Aksel is during all this excitement. Well, Aksel started rolling from back to front last week, and ever since then his main concern in life is getting onto his belly. He will happily attempt to roll out of your arms or out of the bouncer, so we pretty much pull his play gym from room to room. The other night I was making dinner, and he absolutely wore himself out.


I can't blame him, really. I'm actually a little jealous. This is how I feel at the end of most days, too.

2 comments:

  1. These boys are precious! You are such a great mommy doing such fun projects. Anders is so creative:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted you to know I nominated you for The Super Sweet Blogging Award since you're one of my favorite bloggers. You can check it out here: http://ourcarlsonlife.blogspot.com/2013/08/super-sweet.html
    Thank you for making me smile when I read your blogs:)

    ReplyDelete